Saturday 23 August 2014

Straight Out Of Camera week 31 "Screen"

The theme for this week was "Screen" and popped straight out of the expansive nothing filled void of Eje's mind. Now when I was wandering through the vast, knowledge filled and concept rammed expanses of my own brain to think of a shot for this I immediately thought I would do some sort of "Trapped in the screen" idea. But then having explored this idea further, I couldn't really make it work. And I haven't done a self portrait for ages.

It was then that an image from one of the people who has probably influenced my photography more than anyone else so far. David Hobby aka The Strobist has literally given me all the knowledge I have in off camera lighting. It has transformed my work and opened up a whole new interest in what I can do. His sit e is a must read if you want to learn in an easy, way, at your own pace, with detailed instructions on how to go about it. There's a linked banner on the right hand side of this blog (If you're on a pc or mac)

One of his shots (You'll see it if you Google his name) is of him sat in front of his Mac. It's been ripped off A LOT so I've added one more to the list. Two flashes, one sat on the keyboard and bounced off the screen as a reflector, and the other camera left to put light onto the laptop and the Photographer Fuel. I'm quite pleased with the result, and the beer (which was ESSENTIAL to the shoot) went down nicely too.

The other gentlemen are still plodding on too so have a look.

7 comments:

  1. I enjoyed some Fosters while I lived over yonder, but don't really seem to see it around here at all. Not sure why.
    Yes, this shot is copied numerous times, but it does look cool. I think you did a nice job of it as well. The blue gel helps I think. David Hobby definitely has some good learnin' words on his site. I used to read it quite a bit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't stand normal Fosters, but this Fosters Gold is a premium beer and a totally different animal. As for the shot, yeah the gel works well to make the light more screen like, and the most important part is I had fun doing this :-)

      Delete
  2. Nicely done Buddy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Marc :-) and for dropping by the blog.

      Delete
  3. The two things I love about this shot the most: 1. the way the full beer bottle looks. 2. Your shadow cast upon the wall. I alst must note that the overall color in this shot is just awesome. Nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you mate. It's such a simple setup but it gives an awesome effect. I dont play around with Gels on my flashes enough really to get the most out of them.

      Delete
  4. Great shot even if you stole the idea. It's all about the execution and finding the ideas ;)

    ReplyDelete